Monday, January 26, 2015

What are you known for?

    I may be developing a reputation for lemon meringue pies.  I contributed two of them to a bake sale at an event on Saturday and I think they both sold pretty promptly.  (One sold while we were still there; I don't know about the other.)  
   Lemon meringue pie is familiar enough to people to be attractive but not so terribly common as to be dull.  It's an old favorite.  I began with the recipe as written in the 1953 Betty Crocker cookbook but over time, I've tweaked it to our tastes.  My finished product is less sweet and more tart (okay, sour!) than as written. 
    One secret I'm happy to share, also, is that a successful meringue should have one more egg white than is called for.  The pie filling uses three egg yolks and thus the meringue is written calling for three egg whites.  That should work nicely, but if I use a fourth egg white, a more generous meringue is the result.  (Who knows how many egg whites must go into the mountainous meringues on the pies in any self-respecting south Jersey diner?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment