Tuesday, May 26, 2015

A tradition for Memorial Day

   Some traditions have great symbolic meaning to them, and this isn't one of them!  The very first year that my husband and I were dating, 1998, I found a recipe in my mom's file box for a Rainbow Citrus Cake.  Looking for an excuse to make it, I decided to make it for Memorial Day.  It's a basic cake recipe immensely dressed up!   One batter is divided into three, and each one is flavored and tinted differently: orange, lemon, and lime.  Between the layers is a lemon filling very similar to the filling for a lemon meringue pie.  The frosting is orange flavored.
    One thing I've learned in making cakes  is that frequently, frosting recipes are skimpy in relation to the cakes they're intended to cover.  (The exception is when a cake is made in a 9x13 pan rather than layers.)  Lately I've taken to increasing the frosting recipes by at least 50%.  For example, if the recipe called for 1/2 cup (one stick) of butter, I'd use 3/4 cup.  In the event of leftover frosting, it can be frozen for future use, or eaten spread on saltines!

Please comment if you're interested in the recipe.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment