Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Italian cooking

     My parents have a style of cooking that doesn't really fit any description: my dad makes things up as he goes along and usually ends up with something more-or-less German or Pennsylvania Dutch.  My mother cooks quite by the rules and in a variety of styles. 

     I, on the other hand, tend often toward Italian food. 



  Is this the result of being married to a partly Italian man?  Is it the result of being best friends with a fully Italian guy who also just happens to be a chef?  Is it because Italian food is accessible to make with a flair?  I think it's all of the above!
 
    Now, to anyone who knows me well, and/or knows what Cottey College is, you'll not be surprised at my mentioning the Cottey College cookbook as a source for wonderful recipes.  Earlier in the week I made an Italian recipe from the book, namely Bruschetta Cheese Toasts. 
 
    The original recipe calls for garlic bread slices from the grocery-store freezer section.   Rather than that, I took slices of the very good bread my husband makes, and turned them into what I call "cheat" garlic bread.  This means I buttered them (in this case on both sides) and added garlic powder and a tiny bit of parmesan cheese.  Then they went into the oven until toasted on each side. 


    From there, I followed the recipe far more closely, adding grated mozzarella cheese before another go in the oven, and the tomato mixture once the bread was all cooked.  It was quite good!

No comments:

Post a Comment